Lead Pastor Search
The elders and Lead pastor search team are excited to announce that a candidate for our next lead pastor has been identified. Mark your calendar for June 17 as the candidate will be here sharing God’s word at both services. Additional information will be provided at the June 3 family meeting and the weeks to follow. There will be several opportunities to meet and hear from the candidate in the days leading up to June 17. This is an exciting time in the life of our church so continue to be in prayer as we move forward in faith.Ask the candidate a question
How can I contact someone about the Lead Pastor search?
- For questions: Email the search team at
What happened to our Lead Pastor?
Pastor Billy Ross is actually still here! After over three decades in ministry as a pastor, and 15 years here at CBC, Pastor Billy is feeling led to transition from his calling to pastor a local church body to equipping pastors who are reaching people for Christ in others parts of the world. Pastor Billy has become involved with World Hope Bible Institute and has already been to Paris and Botswana to teach Bible Institute classes to local pastors and he will eventually do this on a more permanent basis. On May 28 Pastor Billy announced his transition to the CBC church family prompting the church to begin its search for the next man of God to lead us in the years to come.
What are the stages in the process to hire a new Lead Pastor?
- According to our By-Laws, a Lead Pastor Search team must be formed to walk through the process of seeking candidates for the position.
- The church family submits names to the elders.
- Elders vet the names and send a list of potential members to the Lay Leadership Search Team.
- The Lay Leadership Search Team contacts and interviews each person on the list.
- Once a final list is approved, the names are presented to the church family for a vote.
- The Team receiving resumes, conduct interviews and narrows down the list of candidates for Lead Pastor.
- Lead Pastor candidates will also interview with the elders, and meet with staff and key ministry leaders.
- The church family will be presented a candidate for consideration and vote.
What stage of the search process are we in?
- The Search Team has been formed and has engaged Vanderbloemen Search Group to assist in identifying the best candidates to consider. The team continues to accept resumes filtering them through Vanderbloemen Search Group.
- The Search Team, church leadership and other key lays leaders met with a Vanderbloemen representative mid-December of 2017 to provide feedback into the culture of CBC and desired characteristics of its next Lead Pastor.
- The Search Team has completed its digital profile featuring a job description, photos, and videos that potential candidates can view to gain an understanding of our church, the position and surrounding area. This material can be found on Vanderbloemen’s website. https://www.vanderbloemen.com/
- The next steps include a prayerful review of the top candidates’ biographies and in-person interviews by our Vanderbloemen representative, who will recommend several candidates to the Search Team in mid to late March.
- As a top candidate is identified he will be asked to engage our Search Team, church leadership and church body through in-person visit(s) to the church. Once affirmed the church leadership will present that candidate to the church body for an affirmation vote. With that vote a start date will be identified along with a period of celebrating God’s work through our current Senior Pastor, Dr. Billy Ross.
Who comprises the search team for a Lead Pastor?
- Per our By-laws, the search team for our Lead Pastor will consist of at least three elders (one of whom shall serve as chairman) and at least three active members of the CBC Church family. The team will consult with and ask for input from various groups and leaders within the church and will seek wisdom and input from staff pastors and ministry directors.
- The elders serving on the team are Mark Hillis (chairman), Jim Lewis and Terry Tinsley.
- The at-large members are Kelly Chestnut, Jeff Coward, Brian Crawford, Kristin Hollick, Carolette Melbourne, Monica Sanza, and Kelley Wesley.
- Elaine Bonds is serving as the staff liaison.
- The Team meets most Wednesday evenings and appreciates your prayer as they discern and recommend God’s next choice of Lead Pastor for CBC.
How CAn you be praying?
- For the potential candidates to see CBC's information and job description on the Vanderbloemen website.
- For wisdom for the Vanderbloemen Group as they process and evaluate incoming resumes.
- For our next Lead Pastor and his family to be open to the leading of the Holy Spirit.
- For unity in the body of Christ, both at CBC and at the candidate's current church.